A theologian and researcher of antiquity
The archaeological/regional studies park is named after the Danish Provost Magister Troels Arnkiel. In the year 1690, he described four of the seven graves and completed sketches of them. Arnkiel was born in 1639 in Apenrade. After his studies in Leipzig, Dorpat and Kiel, he became a pastor in Kiel. Then he worked as head pastor and provost in Apenrade. After the annexation of the Gottorfic Apenrade by the Danish king Christian V, he returned to Kiel in 1684. In the year 1698 he went back to Apenrade again, where he lived until his death in the year 1713.