From prehistoric shrine to archaeological/regional studies park
In the Early Stone Age (ca. 3500 BC), the people of Munkwolstrup laid out a burial field with seven large stone burial chambers. These included six so-called long beds and one round mound. The first descriptions of the graves come from the Danish Provost Magister Troels Arnkiel from the year 1690. The excavation began in the summer of 2000 with the largest, 70 m long grave of the burial mound field. Based on the excavation results and the sketches by Arnkiel, this grave was reconstructed in 2002 and today forms the heart of the park. In the same year the park was also dedicated and named after Troels Arnkiel.